Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Pre-washed Lettuce and Krispy Kreme Hats

I attempted to write this blog post yesterday.  It was a very hectic day.  All that was sitting and waiting for me when I opened it up to continue today was this:

Before

Yep, that's how far I got.  However, I do remember where I was going with that.

Before I get to the meat of the post, I wanted to let all of you know, who may or may not read my amazing friend Leslie's blog, that she is competing in the Project Food Blog Challenge - and she needs your votes.  So here's what you do:
  1. Go to foodbuzz.com
  2. Sign up (super simple)
  3. Look for "Chomp!" on the alphabetical list of blogs (you'll see a great picture of Leslie, taken by yours truly!!)
  4. Click on the little heart and you've voted!
  5. Read her blog - it's awesome, I promise.
So this weekend.  I worked Saturday morning, as per usual, and happily left on time!  After stopping by Nacional for some date night yummies (including finding pre-washed and packaged lettuce!!), I headed home to do lots of fun things like reading, doing updates on my computer and napping.  David and Pavol were both away for the weekend so I had the place to myself.  A part of me enjoys being there alone, but at the same time, it gets awfully quiet.  I had a quick chat with the family as they were all in Edmonton.  I helped Jonathan to arrange his newly framed pictures in a pleasing way on his wall.  That's something I love about skype.  Even though I'm thousands of miles away, I can still be involved in people's lives.  After my chat with them, I spent the rest of the evening playing the usual Monopoly and Scrabble with Bart.  I got beaten badly in Monopoly (2 out of 3 games) but then I got my revenge in Scrabble. 

On Sunday, I was up early to get my bedding in the laundry and to meet up with Maria.  We went for a manicure and pedicure at 9:30.  I was quite unimpressed with the lady who did mine.  At first, I was pleased as she redid my one nail not once, but twice due to my clumsiness.  But then she made my toe bleed.  No tip for her.  Thankfully it seems to be ok (no infection) but neither of us will let her do our nails again.  We then headed to Krispy Kreme where we met up with Robert. Maria and I got given a free donut that was still warm.  It was beyond delicious, so much so that there is no way I could have eaten another one.  However, I was still able to eat more non-hot ones.  I also love the hats.  Dominicans seem to especially love wearing the hats. 

Maria
Me
Glazing Donuts
Maria enjoying her free hot donut
Robert with the hat

That is the video we made as we opened up our box of one dozen donuts.  Here's how many were left by the time we went to leave:


Since I have been talking about baked goods a lot lately, I wanted to ensure everyone that I am indeed still eating healthy most of the time - I just don't talk about it that much.

Salad made with the awesome pre-washed and packaged arugula!

The remainder of Sunday involved more lazing and napping.  It was what I needed. 

Monday was another crazy day at work.  We found out that we had prepared the wrong country report, and so had to rush to complete the one we were supposed to do.  As always, I ended up doing most of the work and then having to wait on others for the work I didn't do.  This all resulted in me working overtime again.  After lunch, Robert and I went to Sweet for an afternoon espresso.  We chatted more with our favorite employee there, and learned that her name is Paula!  When we were there in the morning, she wasn't there and because of that, our espressos were not as good and our baked goods weren't heated up.  She makes everything better!

Today is going much better so far.  I had a good laugh during my carrito ride.  The carrito seemed to be stuck in 1st gear.  Needless to say, the trip was really slow and we barely made it up the hill near my apartment!  Robert is out of the office with the rest of the audit team as they had to go to see a client today.  That meant I made the trip to Sweet by myself.  I had an early lunch with Mari and Ozumy and afterwards, Mari and I headed over to Sweet for the afternoon espresso.  Ozumy brought me an awesome treat and in return, I bought her a chocolate croissant to enjoy later in the day while she was at work!

Regular Snickers are hard to find, but somehow Ozumy found me a Snickers Almond!
Mini chinola pie at Sweet Bakery
I should also mention that we have a short work week!  Friday is a holiday.  In celebration, all of us interns are heading to a resort in Punta Cana for Friday - Sunday.  I'm looking forward to having some relaxation time and the opportunity to regain my tan!

1 comment:

  1. thanks so much for the shout out! i really appreciate it! hopefully i make it to round two! i plan on making something CRAZY! haha

    ReplyDelete