Thursday, January 13, 2011

Choose the Best for You!

Since the last two posts have been without pictures, I made a point to take out my camera a few times over the past two days.  On Wednesday, we got to work and there wasn't any power.  This continued until 11:00 am.  During that time, Robert and I sat and chatted with O about how living in Canada is going to be very different for him.  We talked a bit about winter driving and such and then we realized how many rules he will have to learn before he goes.  This included making sure he knew that everyone has to wear a seatbelt, even the people in the back.  You can't drink and drive, or drink on the street, or have open alcohol in your car.  You have to stay stopped at a red light, and you can't make a right hand turn on a three lane road from the left hand lane.  This went on and on for a bit with Robert and I laughing, and O being in a bit of shock.  When the power did come back on, we were without internet, so the work that Robert and I had to do couldn't be done.  We took an early lunch in order to pass some time when we couldn't be working anyway, and while we were wandering around Pola, we came across this:


"Choose the best for you." Ultra strong or ultra soft?  We may have joked about being able to save money if we snagged a few sheets.

After lunch, we headed over to Sweet Bakery, like usual.  I decided to mix it up and have a Cappuccino instead of my regular espresso.  I'm so glad I did.  It was delicious!


The rest of the day at the office was painful.  The internet was back, but the air conditioning had stopped working.  It was incredibly stuffy and hot upstairs and made it really difficult to focus and actually be productive.  I decided to pick up some hot food at Pola for dinner before I headed home.  It was a good idea.  Even though the ride home was a bit longer than usual, the food was still quite hot when I was ready to eat it.  Part of the reason that it took longer to get home was because there was a fairly major motorcade that had shut down the street that I live on.  Because of this, traffic was backed up coming down Lincoln, so I got out of the carrito early since I could walk faster than we were moving.  As I went to turn the corner onto my street, I saw the beginning of the motorcade, which began with a shiny black SUV and a military guy saying, "please, do not attempt to cross the street.  Do not cross the street, please."  They had even cleared out all of the carritos that are usually lined up along my road.  It's a very busy street so it was really odd to see it so empty.  There were at least 20 vehicles in this motorcade, and I assume, since they went to greater lengths than usual to completely clear the road, it was probably someone high up, perhaps even the President.

This morning, I headed out early to meet Ozumy for breakfast at Sweet Bakery.  We had a good chat although it was a bit shorter than usual since she had a meeting to attend that morning.  Before I went back to the office, I was sure to grab a chinola juice to enjoy while I worked.


When I arrived at the office, we were without internet (but there was power and air conditioning!).  Robert and I did some more chatting and worked on a few other things while we waited for the internet to work again.  It was a bit sporadic later on and I was able to quickly grab info off the internet so that we could at least work for a bit offline.  Just before lunch, we had to meet with Sr. S to go over one of our projects, and he asked me when I would have the document completed on the Cayman Islands.  I said that I wasn't sure since the internet was so off and on and then he goes, "well you can use this then if it isn't working after lunch," and pointed to his iPad.  Robert and I got quite excited about this.  We had both stepped away from the desk before we went to lunch and when we returned, the iPad was sitting there!  We didn't have the password and Sr. S wasn't around, so we went to lunch.  We were able to get his password then and we got to try it out.  I was actually surprised by how heavy it was.  I definitely wouldn't be able to hold it for reading, for any substantial length of time.  Robert and I were like kids with a new toy.



After work, I walked to Nacional to ensure they had the ingredients I needed for Canadian Night, which I am hosting at the MC Flat on the 29th.  I was quite happy to find that they did have what I need (or at least a close enough variation) and that the prices were a bit cheaper than I had anticipated!

I'm also still unsure about Puerto Rico.  The flight prices have increased significantly his week.  I really wish I had known before that I had to go on my own, since I would have saved at least $100 if I had booked even a week ago.  So between that and finding out today that the flight I wanted to take home is now $200 more... I really have to think about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment