The end of last week puttered along as usual. It was a whole lot of going to work, coming home, going to work, and coming home. Thursday, the 6th, was the Dia de Reyes and so I decided to give two small gifts to the family I live with. Instead of having the holiday that Thursday though, we got Monday off instead. That was okay with me, because having 2 whole days off in a row always feels good.
I spent the entire weekend just chilling at home. I was hoping to get out and go to the beach but everyone else seemed to have plans. On the home front, I had to deal with a lot of noise. Since the family has sold the apartment, it seems as though they are starting to get rid of a lot of stuff and are starting to pack up and move some things. The worst part of being at home for so long was having to deal with hearing, in their entirety, every Skype conversation they had. Their computer is hooked up to speakers and usually, the music is on quite loudly, which I don't mind, but when its a Skype chat, it's a different story. I even recorded how loud it was on my blackberry, while inside my room with the door closed and sent it to Bart as proof. My other dealing with the loud Skype chat occurred on Monday morning. I was in the kitchen, making my breakfast in silence as I was the only one at home. Then out of no where comes the ringing of an incoming Skype call, through the speakers on full volume. Scared the crap out of me. Bart also had a few laughs on Saturday night as Allison had a friend over and they were playing video games in the next room, of course up loud, and shrieking every once and a while like young girls do. Bart could hear it all on his end. Later on they also watched a movie in the living room, and again, Bart could even make out the songs that were playing during the movie. Yep, over 10 months in and I still can't deal with how noisy the DR is. I did, however, get a chance to watch two movies this weekend, Changeling and The Kids are All Right, both of which I enjoyed.
Robert was back at work today after having taken a bit of a vacation touring around the countryside. It was nice to have someone to chat with and someone to eat lunch with. We ended up going to Quiznos and I was quite impressed at how close they got my name this time (they take your name to go along with your order). I usually get Christina (thus my Spanish nickname is Christina) or Christian, but today, I got Kirstin. Pretty good, especially because in Spanish an i makes an ee sound. Keeersteeen. Good times. Anyway, I had been hoping for a relaxed day with just a bit of research and translation work to do, but instead we were given a few high priority tasks that ended up filling the entire day, a bit of which has been carried over till tomorrow. I also got a bit of bad news today. Originally the plan was that Paula and I were going to go to Puerto Rico on Jan 21 for a few days (another long weekend) but she told me today that she can't go anymore. I'm still planning on going on my own (and I've put the offer out there to anyone else who might be interested in going), although if I don't find an AIESECer to bunk with or someone to split accommodation costs with, it may become too expensive since it is high season... We'll see though.
Now, back to working on job applications!
No comments:
Post a Comment