Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Baseball!

After a quiet weekend, my last two days in the Dominican before Christmas holidays are shaping up to be rather exciting - and busy!

The remainder of my day on Saturday was spent with a headache, and then with Bart on skype.  My winning streak at Monopoly was finally broken.  But then I came back and won the second game.  I had a hard time falling asleep since the music at the colmado (a block away) was loud enough to make things in my room vibrate.  That, coupled with Delaine and Allison having family over made my headache unbearable.  I didn't get much sleep that night since the family was up and chatting by 8am which meant that I was awake by 8am.  Robert and Mari had invited me to go to the beach with them, but I needed the time to get my stuff packed and things prepared for going home.  I was also able to sneak in a long nap in the afternoon!

While packing in the evening, I went to grab a box out of my closet which contained one of the gifts I'm bringing home.  When I grabbed it though, a small lizard jumped onto my hand.  I was quite startled since this was the first lizard I had seen in or around the new apartment.  I let out a little surprised squeal and he jumped off my hand and behind one of my suitcases.

When I went to leave the apartment this morning, I said hello to our watchman and then went to put a bag of garbage in the bin.  Because the bin is on the east side of the apartment, I have to walk back past the gate to head to work (to the west).  When I did so, the watchman waved me over and made a motion that I should brush off my pants.  It was kind of funny and also really sweet that he told me that I had something on my pants.  I guess I must have brushed against something on my way out.

This evening, I went to my first Dominican baseball (or beisbol) game!  Earlier on in the day, I attempted to teach Robert and Mari about the rules of baseball... on a placemat at Sweet Bakery.


Anyway, we took a carrito down Tiradentes and on the way, we picked up an American and his Dominican girlfriend.  Robert and I ended up telling him about AIESEC and suggested that he join so that he can maybe come and work down here and get experience for his schooling.  He was studying International Business in Utah.  When we arrived, our coworker, Jeremias, was waiting for us.  We purchased hats on our way in, although I bought a bit too soon and ended up paying a bit more for mine.  Still cheap though.  It was kind of big on me so I looked like a little kid wearing it. Our seats were next to the loudspeaker which sucked, but overall we had a fairly decent view.  We were cheering for the Aguilas (Eagles) since that was the side of the field we were sitting on.  We picked the wrong team though, as the Tigres del Licey (Tigers) ended up winning 2-0.  It was a fun night, even if the game wasn't that great.  I enjoyed the food (popcorn, beer and pizza) and got to check another thing off my Dominican to-do list.











1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your Hat! :)
    They are my favorite team! You guys went to the a really cool game. Aguilas and Tigres are eternal rivals! Its ok that Tigres won..they did not qualified for semi finals!! jaja Aguilas did! Im glad you enjoyed the game.

    ReplyDelete