Friday, July 2, 2010

Toques, Mittens and Beavers

Canada Day in the Dominican Republic


My day, overall, was quite normal.  I went to work, got annoyed with certain coworkers, went home.

The plan I came up with for Canada Day was to go to a patio bar that I knew served a Canadian beer - Molson.  So I went home, put on my Canuck shirt, packed up some random Canadian things, gave Pavol one of my other shirts to wear, and off we went to meet up with Paula and her boss at Nacional.  From there, we headed to Beer House Cafe.  Sylvia was the first to arrive - it was so great to finally meet her!  We've been emailing each other for nearly 5 months now!



Slowly more and more people came until we had quite a large table full of people from all over the world.  Literally.  We had only one Canadian (me) along with representation from:

  • Dominican Republic
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Guatemala
  • Wales
  • Slovakia
  • Czech Republic
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Morocco
  • India
  • United States
  • Peru
And that's what makes AIESEC so awesome! (I hope I didn't forget anyone!)

Anyway, everyone who likes beer and could drink tried at least one Molson Canadian.  I was quite pleased to find out that we drank ALL of the bar's Molson supply!  Interestingly, just having a Molson gave me that comforting home feeling (I'm not really a Molson drinker, unless I'm at the game or if it is the only thing served).  I even had to sing O Canada (which I did in the combined English/French version) and had to try to come up with random facts about Canada.  Lots of people tried on the toque and mittens, although we could only stand wearing them for about 30 seconds, or however long it took to get the picture, before they were taken off quickly!  (It was VERY hot last night) And Ozumy and Mr. Beaver became close friends as well.


Overall, it was a great evening!  I'm pretty sure I won't ever forget spending Canada Day in the Dominican.  A quick shout out and thank you to all of my friends who came out to help me celebrate - it meant a lot to me!

5 comments:

  1. I DID FORGET SOMEONE. Fixed now. I forgot about Colombia. Then I fixed it and spelt it Columbia, and Orlando corrected me, so I fixed it again. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an awesome time yesterday. Thanks for being so patient with my random questions! haha Love Canada day! I have to take you to celebrate caranival here on Feb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will answer your random questions anytime! And yes - please take me to carnaval!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like so much fun and much more patriotic then we were because cat moved in yesterday. from 9 until 9 we cleaned, moved, painted... cleaned and fell over!!! oh canada! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your day with us, had a great time Amiga...

    ReplyDelete