I'm still in the country, even though I had planned on leaving tomorrow. The reason: the ominous visa!
In the beginning, I placed a call to the DR Embassy in Ottawa to find out what type of visa I needed (since no where does it really tell you what visa is for what). They gave me a bit of info, such as that I needed to apply for a multiple-entry work visa. Great I said, send me the form!
So she sent me the form and referred me to their website again for the other details:
1. Letter of application addressed to the Consul or the Minister of Foreign Relations (in case the person is already in the DR), signed by the applicant or legal representative. The letter of request can be issued by an individual or a company and should contain the following:
a) Name, nationality, place of residence, proof economic solvency and the profession of the interested party or the activity to which the applicant is or will be dedicated in the country. Check!
b) Relationship or parentage of the person that will be responsible for the applicant during his/her stay in the country, if this is the case. (This is not necessary if the person is applying by way of a consulate abroad.) Check!
c) If the person is applying individually, the letter should contain the person's proof of economic solvency, nationality and profession or primary activity. (This is not necessary if the person is applying by way of a consulate abroad.) Check!
d) If the person is employed or is to be employed by a company in the Dominican Republic, the application should be made on company stationary and signed by the highest-ranking officer of the company, indicating the position to be occupied by the applicant. The company needs to establish that it will be responsible for the applicant during his stay in the country. Check!
b) Relationship or parentage of the person that will be responsible for the applicant during his/her stay in the country, if this is the case. (This is not necessary if the person is applying by way of a consulate abroad.) Check!
c) If the person is applying individually, the letter should contain the person's proof of economic solvency, nationality and profession or primary activity. (This is not necessary if the person is applying by way of a consulate abroad.) Check!
d) If the person is employed or is to be employed by a company in the Dominican Republic, the application should be made on company stationary and signed by the highest-ranking officer of the company, indicating the position to be occupied by the applicant. The company needs to establish that it will be responsible for the applicant during his stay in the country. Check!
3. Four front view 2 x 2 photographs. It's actually only two... money wasted...
4. One copy of the main page of the passport. Check - except they forgot to tell me that I needed to send them the original (even after I said to them, so you just need a copy right? Right.)
5. Certificate of Good Conduct: issued in the jurisdiction of origin. If the beneficiary has been more than three months in the country, it needs to be issued by the competent local judicial authority. Check!
Info Missing:
- $150 fee. (Which after I had sent the cheque, they clarified that it was actually supposed to be a $150 USD Money Order. Information that would have been useful to mention rather than just telling me a $150 fee...)
- Copy of Birth Certificate
Well, b) sounds slightly illegal, and I'm not willing to risk that, and a) sounds great, albeit time consuming. So another email sent to my AIESEC contact to get the permission for option a). Company replies saying they've never had to do that, and that they're going to get some other documents from the External Relations Department instead. Hmm. Okay. So I still haven't seen these documents and I haven't heard back from the Embassy about whether or not this is okay. I'm so confused and frustrated.
When I told one of the previous interns about all of this he just said: welcome to the DR.
Great.
And that is the story of why I am still in Canada. Not that I'm complaining... I've been enjoying the whole not working thing and the whole watching the Olympics thing.
All of my running around is finished (okay, with slight exceptions... like finding somewhere to fix my watch - another story for another day) and I'm all vaccinated and malaria pill'd. Still some packing to go and a lot of cleaning and packing of my room to go.
On another note: today was awesome for Canada in the Olympics! I'm super proud! I also ordered a rather large Canadian Flag today to take with me...

you are ridiculously adorable.
ReplyDeleteI try.
ReplyDelete