The work day ended with a lot of noise as more stormy weather moved through. I ended up staying at work later than planned since I wasn't keen on venturing out in the pouring rain. Finally, it slowed down to a nice sprinkle and I headed out. Since traffic was truly insane (more than usual) and no carritos with room could be found anyway, I decided to walk. When I reached the corner of Lincoln and 27 I ran into a familiar face: David. He convinced me to head over to his office (about a block away from where we were) as their boss (also our neighbour/friend) was going to drive David and Pavol home and get beers at some point too. So I tagged along. Like I said, traffic was really insane. Normally after 27 traffic thins out. But it took us over 20 minutes to get to the apartment from the office (on an average traffic day this should be about 5 minutes). I guess I should have just continued walking. Regardless, we arrived home and then wandered over to the colmado for a beer. I headed back a bit early to sneak in a quick chat with Bart before heading to the rooftop BBQ.
As it turns out, we were late to leave for the BBQ at Paula and Yeimy's place. Finally the three of us (me, David and Pavol) headed out and took the metro over to Gomez and 27. One thing I like about the metro here is the public art. Here's what you can see at the station at Gomez and 27:
And here are my goofy roommates with the public art:
Once out of the station, we took the pedestrian crossing that is above the intersection. It kind of freaks me out. Partially because it has no lighting, so it is really dark. Apparently everyone else was running on the same schedule as we were because when we showed up, so did everyone else.
The menu for the evening was perros calientes.* We discovered an interesting cultural *thing* when preparing the hot dog buns...
Columbians and Dominicans cut the buns like this (sliced vertically through the top):
Canadians, Costa Ricans, French, Moroccans and Slovakians cut it like this (sliced horizontally through the side):
Now when I say a rooftop BBQ, I mean that we were on a rooftop and there was a BBQ but we cooked the hotdogs by two methods, neither of which were the BBQ. Boiling and microwave.
Regardless, it was a fun evening. We had a little celebration for Pavol's birthday which is today (HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROOMIE!) and David and I took off a bit early (after midnight) since I have that work thing to do on Saturdays...
OH! So we have our first official named storm of the 2010 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Alex. The system that is now known as Alex was the one that kept me and Bart from enjoying sun at the pool. Stupid Alex. While I'm glad it is past us, I hope that it doesn't cause any problems for the countries that are currently awaiting its arrival.
*When I first read in the invitation that there would be perros calientes, I had this lovely moment where I read hot dogs, pondered why there would be sweaty dogs and then went OHHH hotdogs. Yep.





haha strange about the bbq without bbqing...
ReplyDeletehahaha sweaty dogs. love it.
I cut the buns like you, K. So, I'm kinda canadian in that way. Haha Sweaty Dogs..lol!!
ReplyDeleteAlex and I are no longer friends.
ReplyDelete