Pilates on Thursday night turned out to be a bit different than what I was expecting for the evening. Our instructor was still sick so the karate instructor ended up teaching us instead. The session only lasted for half an hour and was not very "flow-y," however, I did enjoy a few of the extra leg moves he had us do. Paula and I took a taxi home again, but this time we called 'her taxi driver' so we had no issues. When I got home, I sat around with the guys for a bit while making dinner. I also added the French and Japanese language packs to my rosetta stone. You know, in case one day I want to a) learn Japanese or b) brush up on my French. For now though, I'll stick to Spanish.
My Friday morning was pretty regular. I struggled to get myself out of bed and ready to go, wandered over to the spot where I catch the carrito, and off I went to the office. At first I was in B4 but then the guy in B2 got out, so I switched into B3. Just past Nacional, an older lady went to get into B4. So I scooted my bum up and pushed my knees over to the left to give her room. Instead she tapped me on the shoulder and told me to sit back. Well, whatever, so I sat back. So then she squished with her bum on the edge of the seat and knees to the left. Of course this left her in a position in which she was unable to close the door. So I had to reach to do it. But she was a chubby sort of older lady and the door kind of bounced off her when I went to close it. It closed, but not fully. She gave me this sort of look of shock. I didn't know what else I was supposed to do. Then she decided to continue to talk to me in Spanish. I was too tired to do anything about this so I just looked at her and smiled.
As previously mentioned, I hadn't gotten paid on Thursday. I was hoping that in the morning I would see A so that I could ask her if I could come to her office to get the money. I didn't see her though. Just as I had decided to go and ask someone, and even got Paula to teach me how to say it in Spanish, creepy guy (who has been less creepy lately) came and gave me my pay. Funny and embarassing thing was, he reached out his hand in a kind of weird way, and I thought he wanted a pen (which I didn't have - but was needed for signing the page) but it turns out he wanted to shake my hand. I appologized for my stupidity, shook his hand and laughed it off.
Then on the way to Pola to get my lunch, I walked by the old man that I walk by everyday who sits selling candy and other small confection items. Everyday he calls me "linda" (beautiful). I'm still not quite used to this, in general, but today, I decided that with him, I needed to just be used to it. I mean I still have to walk by him everyday to go to lunch for the next 7.5 months. I can't let it make me feel uncomfortable anymore! Then, at Pola, I was waiting to get some of the cheese lasagne (literally lasagne noodles, cheese and the slightest hint of sauce), and a guy asked me something in Spanish. I reverted to my standby, "lo siento, no entiendo español," to which he replied, "ingles?" "Si," I said. He asked me what my name was, so I told him, then he told me his, I said it was nice to meet him. Then he tried to ask me what I was waiting for. I pointed to the lasagne. He then proceeded to get the server's attention and get me a piece of lasagne. It was very nice of him. And then he just went about the rest of his day. This entire experience made me feel better about Dominican men, in general (sorry, no offense to all the awesome Dominican guys I do know!). Anyway, it was a tasty lunch, all for RD$136 and included the lasagne, garlic-butter potatoes, the tomato/cheese salad and a bottle of water. And yes mom, I know I'm posting yet another food picture, but I don't care.

No comments:
Post a Comment