Monday, July 26, 2010

The Ugly Side of the DR

Our internet at home has been terrible the last few days and so I was not able to post more frequently.  Hopefully we will get that dealt with soon.

On Friday night, I took it easy at home, having a late-ish date night with Bart and then promptly going to bed afterwards.  I worked on Saturday morning and unfortunately got stuck working an extra hour to finish up something for Sr. S.  I wasn't too impressed about it, but there is not much I can do.  It does make me feel better about asking for additional time off in the upcoming months!  I was supposed to meet up with Paula and Ozumy on Saturday after work.  Paula was going to come earlier so I could help her look for an apartment in my area, and then Ozumy was going to come to watch Wall-E with us.  Ozumy had to cancel as she had to help her mom out with some stuff at home.  We decided we'd try for Sunday instead.  So I gave Maria a call to see if she wanted to meet me for a quick ice cream at Nacional.  This worked out quite well!  I got there a bit early so I got my groceries quick (ingredients for guacamole) and then we went and had very yummy ice cream and got a chance to catch up a bit.  Afterwards, I walked home and then proceeded to nap for about 3 hours.

In the evening, we decided that a bunch of us would meet up at Hilton for some drinks and food.  I ended up taking the metro to the stop near Paula's place and then met up with her and Yeimy.  On my way to the metro station Ozumy sent me a message with some bad news.  4 of our friends had been robbed earlier that day.  This put all of us on edge.  I stayed inside the metro station to wait for the girls.  Paula ended up coming by herself, but without her purse or any other belongings.  We then walked to the hotel where we met up with Yeimy who came from their house with the purses (Their house is less than a block away so they figured it was safer than both of them coming over the dark bridge to meet me).  Our original plan was to go to Gerardo's place, but after hearing the news, Gerardo insisted on coming to pick us up.  We were grateful.

When we got there, Sylvia was already waiting for us.  We had a lot of fun, but when it came time to get food, we decided that it was too expensive and that we would go somewhere else.  We decided to go to Segafredo in Zona Colonial. 



There I had an amazing margarita pizza (although not as good as Famoso, I'll have you know!) and a less than amazing cosmopolitan.  I really like the place - has a cool vibe.  Pavol and Maria joined us here.  Eventually though, the place started to fill up and the music got louder.  So we decided we'd head somewhere a bit quieter.  We went over to Grillo Bravo in Plaza España and found a nice table outside.  After another round of drinks, we headed home.  It was a late night!

On Sunday, plans changed again.  Ozumy had another commitment she had forgotten about, so Paula, Maria and I decided to have another Sex and the City afternoon.  We are nearly finished season 2 now.  I also made some guacamole which was so fresh and delicious! I'm glad it is avocado season here!  Also the avocados here are much bigger than the ones we get in Canada.  I'll have to get another one and then take a picture...

So back to the "Ugly Side" of the weekend.  So four of our friends - all AIESECers were at Faro a Colon on Saturday afternoon.  The area is quite large around the building and includes some sculptures here and there.  The group of them walked over to one of the sculptures and within a couple minutes, two men with guns came out of nowhere and robbed them.  Cash, cameras, cell phones, everything was taken.  I guess they missed one cell phone though and didn't get the keys to the car they had come in.  Thank goodness they weren't hurt.  But 4:00 in the afternoon!  And in a group of four people!  It's so sad, I mean you can do everything right and it doesn't matter.  I was told that they did go to the police after, but here, that does about as much good as not going to the police at all.  I think about how if that happened in Edmonton it would be front page news.  Here, it is nothing. 

I think that a lot of us feel that it is not a matter of "if we get robbed," but rather "when we will get robbed."  That's not a pleasant thought.  However, there isn't much you can do about it other than be diligent all the time.  It still freaks me out though.  A lot.  That and it is hard to just accept injustice.

No comments:

Post a Comment