Saturday, February 5, 2011

Small Moments

The weekend has arrived!  After enjoying the last few weeks that had several public holidays, this week seemed to pass by rather slow.

Friday at the office was quite normal.  I've realized that R has suddenly started calling me by my last name, except he doesn't pronounce it right so it comes out like: smit.  I'm not sure why this happened, but whatever.  Robert and I went to Wendy's for lunch, and on the way back, I helped him pick out some flowers for his mom who was arriving that afternoon.  I also spoke to Sr. S about getting me in contact with the artist of one of his paintings that I particularly like.  As it turned out, the father of the artist had just been in the office that morning.  So Sr. S gave him a call and asked if they had any of his paintings available here in the Dominican (the artist has recently moved to the US for school).  Unfortunately they didn't, so the father was going to find out an email address for his son and get back to us.  So, at least I have an email address now, and have sent off a request but have yet to hear anything back.  I would like to know soon, if he has anything available, because if he doesn't, I will have to go on a major search to find something else I love before I leave.

In the evening, my landlady stopped by with a bunch of other people.  It felt awkward to go out and say hi when she had other people with her so I just sat in my room and waited until they were gone.  It wasn't until today that I realized what they were doing.  They completely uninstalled the light and ceiling fan in the living room and took it with them.  So now, along with all the other things I don't have in the house, I don't have the ability to turn on the light in the main area.

I've been becoming sort of friends with the watchman at the apartment.  We've had a few conversations over the week and I enjoy how he is able to speak slowly and clearly with me.  I kind of laughed today when he asked me, as I was leaving, where I was going.   I told him I was going to work, and he seemed to understand now why I leave early on Saturdays every week.  The office was pretty quiet.  Robert came in late since he had stayed home a bit longer in order to have breakfast with his mom.  The main excitement of my day was posting my first two posts on my new blog and spreading the news about it!  I've been working pretty hard at it for the past month so it was nice to finally get it out there.  It still needs a bit more work in terms of design but that will come eventually.

On my way home, I decided to stop at Nacional to pick up a few things.  It had just started raining, and since I'm always prepared for rain, I pulled out my umbrella.  While I was waiting to cross the street, a man told his daughter to stand near me and then he asked me if it was alright if I could shield her from the rain.  Of course I replied (all of this was in Spanish).  Then when it came time to cross the street, he told his daughter to stay close to the nice woman (me).  It was cute, she stuck right to my side as we crossed.  Once we were under the shelter of the building the man turned and thanked me.  It was such a nice feeling to have been able to do something so simple and easy but that someone else appreciated greatly.  Just a little moment that made me smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment