Thursday, February 3, 2011

Swaying Carritos and Heart Shaped Delights!

I ended off the weekend by just taking it easy on Sunday.  I had a few things to do around the house like laundry and cleaning so it worked out well.  And because I had Canadian Night on Saturday night, Bart and I moved our date night to Sunday.

Monday was both a fun and a sad day.  I started off the day by meeting Ozumy for breakfast at Sweet Bakery, which is always a treat.  By the time lunch rolled around, Ozumy was still in the area so we wandered over to Wendy's to have lunch together.  Here's Ozumy rocking the Canada shirt I brought back for her!


The sad part of the day was saying goodbye to O.  It was his last day on the job as he has a new position to train for which is soon to take him to Canada.  So while it is exciting to know that O will be hanging out in Toronto beginning in March, it was still sad to not have him around for my final few weeks here at the office.  We had a few good chats, including him asking me how much warm clothes he should purchase and bring with him.  I've also put him in contact with my great friend Rob, who has been living in Toronto for the past few years, just in case O needs a hand prior or after his arrival.

I am also still dealing with having my landlady going into my room when I'm at work.  The first time, it made sense because she had to get the cable box, and the last two times I can sort of justify as well.  I'm still not happy about it though, it just gives a real feeling of unease knowing that someone has been in your room without your knowledge.  So on Monday, when I got home from work, I noticed that the modem was turned a different way then I keep it, and my window was opened more than usual.  I assume that the internet was acting up so she wanted to reset it, but I'm not sure why she felt the need to open my window up more (which personally freaks me out because there are no screens and the bars are quite spacious and I worry about birds and other larger creatures getting in haha).

On Tuesday, Robert was back in the office.  We had a gossip/catch-up session at Sweet Bakery in the morning where he told me about his not-so-successful paragliding training.  The day at the office was rather slow, until the end of the day when Sr. S called me into his office, gave me a piece of cheesecake and then told me to return with my computer once I was done eating.  I also finally got a chance to tell him what day I'm leaving, so it was good to get that out of the way.  Now I will be busy finishing this one project we've been working on since before I even got here.


Wednesday was a slow motion kind of day.  Everything seemed to take forever and I constantly felt like I wasn't accomplishing anything.  I did accomplish a few things, including what I had wanted to finish in terms of the work, and some extras like doing a bit of shopping on Etsy!  Robert and I decided to go to Jardin Verde for lunch.  I wanted to try something different since I'm not a huge fan of their fake meat, so I picked an item on the menu that translated directly as: flour tortilla with vegetables.  Sounds good right?  Yeah, except, like a lot of the things on their menu, it was not what one would expect.


It was still a good meal, and the weird tortilla thing tasted much better with a bit of ketchup to dip it in.  It ended up raining for a bit too while we were there.  Of course, we stopped at Sweet Bakery on the way
back for an afternoon coffee and since Valentine's Day is fast approaching, there are now some cute heart-shaped desserts!




One of the highlights of my day was the carrito ride home.  I got into this particular carrito at the same time as another guy.  He took B1 and I took B2.  Soon B3 and B4 were filled.  Totally normal, except the car was rather tiny and had no leg room whatsoever.  As it turned out, I had to sort of assume the hypothermia position (although knees weren't quite tucked up to my chest).  I hung onto my purse while the two guys on either side of me had to sort of lean against me, so only my hands and wrists would be showing if you had seen me from the front of the car.  It was insane.  On top of that, the entire car felt like it was barely being held together, everything rattled, and we actually swayed from side to side, similar to being on a boat.  As I sat there, I had to chuckle to myself.  Never in a million years would I have pictured myself in that situation a year ago and I'm sure that people who only know Canada me, would not believe that it was actually me if they had seen it.  Here is my recreation of the event.


Anyway, when I returned home, I came to realize that the landlady had been in my room again.  This time was probably my fault, since I had turned the internet off the night before and forgotten to put it back on in the morning.  The thing that made me laugh, is not only did she leave dirty footprints, but instead of turning it off by the power button (which I had done), she unplugged it.

Dear Dominican Government: don't hire her as a spy, she would be terrible at it.

Sweet Bakery had even more cute Valentine's treats today and this one, I just couldn't resist.

1 comment:

  1. I want heart shape deserts!!!
    hahaha love the drawning with you in the carrito! lol

    ReplyDelete