On Monday morning, Robert and I had to wait for over 1/2 hour just to get a carrito. Then, when we finally got into one, there was a sign inside saying that the carritos had raised their price from RD$20 to RD$25. Not a big deal, but that's a fairly hefty increase in percent terms! So now the RD$20 bill seems a lot less useful, and the RD$25 coin seems a lot more useful! I also love how they just print out signs that say they are now charging more. It seems so unofficial and kind of hard to take seriously. I mean, when we have a fare increase for our public transportation systems, it has to be announced months in advance so that people have enough warning and such.
Since Monday was Valentine's Day, a lot of people were wearing red and pink, including myself, although in my case it wasn't on purpose. At the office, a few people brought around chocolates and heart shaped cookies for people. Sweet bakery was insane as they were getting tons of their Valentine's Breakfast packages ready for delivery. There were also many "felicidades" being passed around. I still don't understand why we congratulate people here on special days like New Years and Valentine's. About an hour into my day, L told me to go down to the receptionist. The only time this happens is when something has arrived for me, so I had a pretty good idea about what I was going to find. Sure enough, a beautiful bouquet of roses awaited me from Bart. I'm so spoiled!
On Tuesday, I didn't have to wait for a carrito, which only partly made up for the ridiculous wait the day before. The highlight of the day was meeting up with Ozumy for lunch. Unfortunately though, she had arrived 10 minutes before we were planning to meet. She sent me a text informing me of this, but I didn't receive it until 15 minutes later. 10 minutes after she sent it though, she figured she'd better call me since she was still waiting outside. I felt bad, but I had no idea! So Robert and I rushed out and we decided to go to that new pizza place we had tried last week. It was a wonderful lunch and we had lots of time to catch up. We were sure to finish off the meal with a trip to Sweet Bakery as well.
I had been kind of putting off doing the second painting at home, but I knew that I had to get a start on it if I wanted it to be finished before I left. So as soon as I got home, I sat down and started taping out the design on the canvas. Not having my usual tools made this a bit more difficult, and some of the paint did bleed through a bit, but nothing major that can't be touched up. Between paint coats, I had some dinner, then chatted briefly with mom before engrossing myself in the book I'm reading. Though I had to break up the reading for chat with Bart, I still managed to read over 100 pages. I was pretty impressed by myself!
This morning, I got up early because I had plans to leave at 8:00. Maria and I had decided to have breakfast together at the Bakery. She came to my apartment to meet me and then we took a carrito (no wait!) the rest of the way. She also gave me a cute valentine's gift of a few chocolates in a pretty red bag! I was very touched. It was Maria's first time at Sweet Bakery and I think she really enjoyed it! We sat and talked for over an hour. When it was almost time to think about heading to the office, I thought I would text Robert in case he wanted to come by and say hi. Texting seems to be an issue, as he didn't end up getting my text in time, but he and Trond had planned on coming by the Bakery anyway. So they came in, saw us, and joined us to eat their breakfast. It was a perfect morning with excellent food and even better company!
The work day went by quite fast as I had a lot of little things to do. We ran over to Emparedado for lunch and Robert, like usual, asked for some salt for his fries. I had a good laugh when they brought him this cup of salt:
Throughout the day I assisted Robert with the Samana trip planning for the weekend. Seems like everything is set now - I even have travel companions for the trip back to the city (Robert & Mari took Monday off, but I need the day to wrap things up at the office).
The plan for the evening is more painting and reading, and some packing... the dreaded packing.





No comments:
Post a Comment