Hard to believe that I only have 13 days left in the Dominican. It really does feel like just the other day that I arrived here, although I do still remember back to April and May when the actual 1 or 2 months I'd been here felt like years. Even though I have been here for nearly a year now, and life has become pretty "normal" there are still things that make me laugh and wonder.
On Monday, I watched a guy a few cars ahead of the carrito I was in spray his windshield with windex and then turn on his windshield wipers. not only that, but since the bottle was nearly empty, he took off the nozzle portion and just sort of threw the windex across the windshield. The worst part of this was that it was kind of windy and you could see the windex blowing back into his car (since the rest of his windows were open, and onto and into other people's cars. Although, I must admit, if your windshield washer fluid isn't working or you've run out, I guess it isn't a bad way to get the windshield clean.
Even more hilarious was on Tuesday when I watched one car pulling another. They had attached the two together with what looked like a really long exercise band. When they first started going, it seemed that the guy in the car being pulled was able to use his brakes. However, when they attempted to turn a corner and the first car had to stop quickly, the second just kind of slowly and leisurely ran right into it. To make matters worse, as it ran into it, it drove onto the exercise band thing, so then the car ahead, when it attempted to get going again, couldn't pull the car behind since the weight of the back car was holding down the band that had tied the two together.
On Tuesday night, I decided to do some reading once I had gotten home from work. It was quite enjoyable until I started having my vision go funny: Migraine. I haven't had a migraine that bad in several years. It was so bad that I emailed/text mom and Bart and told them that I just couldn't talk to them that evening, and so after taking a few Tylenol and drinking some more water, I went to bed shortly after 8pm. When I woke up in the morning, the migraine was still there, but not quite as bad. I went into work anyway, which maybe wasn't the best idea. I made it until about 2:00. But with my head pounding, I wasn't able to concentrate on anything and everything was made that much more worse because the air conditioning hadn't been working all day. So I went home, and slept for another few hours. Yesterday evening, I had the pleasure of talking to Kaitie, who is currently doing an internship in the Netherlands. It was really nice to talk to another Canadian doing an internship abroad. Even though our situations are very different, we are going through a lot of the same things which is comforting to know.
This morning, I left the apartment a bit late since I had taken the time to gather up a few things to take over to the MC. Usually that means that there won't be a line at the carrito stop, but there was. In fact, I ended up waiting about 1/2 hour for a carrito to show up. As I've mentioned before, the Dominicans are starting to line up for the carrito, which makes a lot of sense. At other main stops, like 27 de febrero, there is just a huge clump of people and they literally push and shove their way into a carrito. But the line thing still doesn't quite work. People still come and butt into the line, and not all of the people in the line are capable of speaking up and telling those people to get in the line. Although when they do, it is beautiful. I get such a kick out of seeing them standing by the carrito door, telling a person who had butted in to get out of the carrito and into the lineup. When I told Erin about this the last time she was here, she didn't believe me that they were actually lining up. So I snapped this picture on the blackberry earlier this week for her as proof.
Maybe the next time I come back for a visit, the lines will be the norm. That would be super cool.

No comments:
Post a Comment