I didn't have to work yesterday, but the explanation for that will come after we go back in time to Sunday...
Sunday was election day here in the Dominican Republic. I wasn't really sure what to expect. I began my day by taking a carrito to the Colonial Zone (the driver got mad at me for making him stop so close to El Conde - oops!), and meeting up with mom and dad again. Most everything was closed so we ended up having a fairly lazy day. However, the usual flea market that is in the small plaza across from their hotel was up and running (although with less vendor's than usual) so we went to check out the goods and wares there. Mom and dad had already been earlier (and while they were out and about they saw their first dead
Does this guy look like George Bluth to you too?
Because it was election day, we still couldn't buy alcohol. We were all craving beer, but had to settle for chinola (passion fruit) juice. Our lazing at the pool was followed by a nap and then supper (rough life eh?). Then, as is becoming a habit, I had the hotel call me a taxi and away I went. I should also mention now that the President also declared (the day prior to the election) that everyone would have power on election day AND that everyone would get Monday morning off.*
I, personally, was happy with both of these political gestures. I like having electricity, and getting Monday morning off meant an entire day off for me, since I had previously booked the afternoon off. So, once again, my morning began with a trip to Zona Colonial to meet up with my parents. Earlier, mom and dad had stopped by the Fort to check if it was open and they were told it was. When we returned, they then said it wasn't. But maybe, it would be open tomorrow. Well, fine, we said. Instead we headed to the Larimar Museum (interesting, and mom made a purchase) and then to the Amber Museum on el conde (we all made purchases). We at lunch at one of my favorite pizza shops, where we had to wait extra long because they had run out of tomatoes. Yes a pizza shop was out of tomatoes... When we got back to the hotel, we had ice cream and beer, watched a lizard doing pushups and poofing out his neck in an attempt to mate with another lizard who just kept running away from him, followed my relaxing and swimming at the pool. Another lovely day.
Today's plan, once I finish my morning at work, is to meet up again and perhaps go to the park on the other side of the river. You know, be a little bit more daring. Mom and dad are scheduled to head back home tomorrow morning.
*As a side note, can you imagine what would happen in Canada, if Harper decided to just give everyone in the country the morning off. This would be chaotic! Think about that one for a bit...





No comments:
Post a Comment