Friday, June 25, 2010

Carrito Excitement

Who knew seeing a carrito could make my day!

After I had arrived at the intersection near my office via carrito, I got out, crossed one direction of traffic and then waited in-between to cross the next direction.  While I stood there, watching the vehicles pass by, I spotted something peculiar - or at least out of the ordinary.  A FEMALE CARRITO DRIVER!  You have no idea how excited I was.  I have always secretly wanted to find a female carrito driver.  It seems to be such a traditionally masculine role (along with being a motoconcho driver) and I had already given up hope of finding one.  The part that made it even better was that she looked like she was having a blast - chatting and laughing with her passengers.  Now, sometimes the male drivers also look like they are having a blast, but its not the same.  So yes, female carrito driver: I think you're awesome!

Additionally, a few weeks ago, I noticed that all the Lincoln/Lope carrito drivers were wearing green.  Today, they were all wearing yellow.  Weird.  Any ideas?  Is it a new color coded uniform?  Showing their support for a particular World Cup team?

I had also mentioned previously that carritos sometimes having holes in the floor, through which you can see the ground.  Yesterday, my morning carrito had holes, and since I was the only one in the back, I sneaked a quick picture.  For your viewing pleasure I have indicated where the holes are, since they are kind of tough to see:


I'm not going to lie, the entire ride I was afraid that the bottom would fall out of the car.

I also took a carrito home after work since it was raining.  Our driver decided to go down Lincoln instead of Lope de Vega.  The lady in the B1* position decided she needed to get out.  Since we were on a one-way street and on the left hand side of it, she was going to get out of the left door.  She couldn't open up the door from the inside, and because it was raining, the window was closed and thus she was unable to reach outside to open it that way.  The carrito driver called out to a random guy on the street to come and open the door.  This made me laugh.

I think I might actually miss carritos when I move back to Canada... 

* Here is my carrito positioning diagram.  If only the passengers were actually that skinny...  And yes, I may have too much time on my hands.


3 comments:

  1. Stay tuned to the comment section: Ozumy is going to explain it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so funny! The diagram is hilarious! B3 position is the worse! About the Female Driver, I have got in her carrito. She's very funny and very respectful. And She doesnt drive like crazy, but she sure knows a few tricks. The colors, well it was something the goverment did years ago to try to organize the carrito sistem (like that worked :P) Because there where too many carritos everyday. To try to reduce traffic they create the sistem: Carrito's plate with odds at the end are the greens and the evens are yellow. You can see it on the roof..green or yellow paint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous that you got to ride in her carrito! At least I now know that she's a yellow day driver.

    I'm not sure if I hate B3 as much as I hate F1. I always feel like I'm in the driver's way in F1, and if there isn't a cushion to sit on... it's even worse! But definitely B3 and F1 are the worst.

    ReplyDelete