Monday, August 9, 2010

Isla Saona Take 2

Ah the weekend!

After a detour to Plaza Central to get sandals for Robert (silly guy didn't bring any!) we headed home for what was supposed to be a nice evening that would involve time to get ready for Saturday's trip and an early bed time.  Just as I had begun making supper, the power went out.  Ugh.  I was hoping it would be one of those 20 min kind of power outages so I kept making dinner, then I ate dinner, and still the power did not come back on.  The apartment got crazy hot so Pavol, Robert and I decided to head over to the colmado to be a bit cooler (they have a generator) and to have some rum.  It felt like the entire neighbourhood was there!  They didn't even have enough chairs, so Pavol ended up sitting on a crate.  I can't believe I was at the colmado three nights in a row!


It was getting pretty late and we figured we'd better head back to attempt to sleep even though the power wasn't on.  I had a plan to shave my legs quickly with the water that would be have left.  (When the power goes out for a long period of time we lose water pressure/flow)  Well, when we returned, there was no water.  Everyone was worried that the power wouldn't be fixed before the morning, and since I had to get up early, I was dreading the idea of not being able to shower after what was sure to be a very sweaty sleep.  Maria gave Pavol the idea to order another jug of water from the colmado so we would have some water to wash with in the morning.  Since they insist on always taking an empty bottle when they deliver a new one, Pavol filled up the sink with the remaining water so that I could shave my legs.  It was quite odd to be shaving my legs in a sink with a candle as my only light source.  I did a pretty good job considering the situation!  After ensuring all our lights were turned to the off position and all the fans to the on position, it was bed time.  The power did end up coming back on at 2am.  The relief that you feel when the fan starts turning again is indescribable!

The alarm was set at 5am since we were supposed to be at the MC by 6am.  We ended up taking a taxi there since we weren't sure if there would be any carritos available.  Everyone arrived before the bus, except Maria.  Luckily the bus saw her on the way to the MC and picked her up (her friend Nicole's mom was the organizer of our trip and was on the bus).  When we arrived at Bayahibe we had to wait for quite a while until we got the wrist bands that enabled us to go to the island.  Then we hopped onto a speedboat which took us out to the catamaran, and then waited for more people to come.  I was under the impression that we were to have the boat to ourselves.  Apparently this was not the case.  Here is me being unimpressed with all the other people on our boat:



The ride out to the island was lots of fun.  There was a lot of dancing, drinking, talking, laughing and picture taking!



Once on the island, we dropped off our stuff and headed straight into the water.  It was a gorgeous day and the ocean was quite clear and clean!  For the remainder of the day some of us napped, played volleyball, went for walks, chilled in the ocean, ate food, drank more, etc.  I think everyone had an excellent time.  Although a few of us left with a bit of a sunburn (me included).



We were split up into two speedboats which took us to the natural pool to view the starfish.  Once again, I didn't touch the starfish.  Although they were cool to look at.  Gerardo also claims that he was bit by something in an unmentionable area.  Poor guy.  After the starfish break we headed back to the main island and hopped on the bus to head back to the city.  Ozumy and I slept just about the entire way.



That evening, both Robert and I crashed pretty early.  I was talking with Bart but just couldn't stay awake, it was only 9:30 but I figured it was best that I just went to bed.  When I went out to wash my dishes, I noticed that Robert had fallen asleep at his computer.

Sunday was a nice leisurely day.  I got a bit of laundry and cleaning done, spent a bit of time with Robert and Paula, and attempted to meet up with my new tutor, but he ended up cancelling due to a family issue.  Since Bart and I had time conflicts on Friday and Saturday, we ended up moving our date night to last night.  Like usual, Monopoly, Scrabble and Pictionary were played.

And just like that, another weekend came to an end.

1 comment: