Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Moldy Shorts, Dominican Weddings, Norweigan Intern!

This weekend was incredibly busy.  I really wanted to get a couple posts in since so much happened, but I just didn't have time!

Friday was a fairly regular day at work.  There was a Colombian party in the evening at the MC but I was just too tired and grumpy to go.  Instead I stayed home, made a yummy supper, drank some wine and watched the Informant. I felt like I just needed some time to myself since I've been a bit frustrated with several things lately. 

Like usual, I went to work on Saturday.  When I was getting ready in the morning, I thought that I would wear a pair of my dressy shorts.  I went into my closet to grab them and then realized they were moldy!  Yes, moldy!  Ugh, the humidity is so frustrating.  Gerardo told me though about these bags you can buy with stones in that help to absorb the humidity so that I shouldn't have the problem again.  I ended up wearing jean capris instead, but promptly put the shorts into the washing machine.  While at work, I was informed that at the party the night before, they decided to have a bachelorette party for Mariangeles (who was getting married on Monday).  Somehow I ended up helping to plan the party.  After work, I ate lunch with Orlando at Pola and then we met up with Ozumy to go to an adult novelty store on Tiradentes, to get some stuff for the party and some fun gifts for Mariangeles.  We were able to get everything we needed, which was good.  On the way back I had to pick up some groceries for that evening as well, since a few of us were meeting at Gerardo's for a curry dinner.

By the time I got home, I had about 20 min to briefly rest and then I had to get ready to go.  Pavol and I took the metro to meet up with Paula, and then her friend Johanny picked us up and from there we went to Gerardo's.  Gerardo has a very nice apartment - I'm a bit jealous.  Sylvia and Arturo had already arrived, so once we got there we started cooking right away.  The curry turned out really well - and we had lots of really good wine to drink too.  It was a lovely evening full of good conversation and lots of laughs.  We also met another coworker of Paula and Gerardo - Alejandro, who is also from Guatemala.  Turns out that he lives very close to us so Pavol and I were able to catch a ride home with him.  Late that night I ended up checking my email to find some information on the wedding since Paula and I were in a disagreement over what time we were supposed to be there.  However, I found an unexpected email from back home.  So here is my quick shout out and congratulations to Brandon and Kelly on getting engaged!  All the best!



Sunday was my one chance to get a bit of sleep so I tried to stay in bed as long as possible.  Paula came over around 4:30 to help finish the plans for the bachelorette party.  Ozumy came over a bit later as well.  We headed over to Maria's around 7:00.  By 8:00, everyone was there except for the bride and her friends that were arriving that night from Spain.  Unfortunately, by the time they did arrive, a few people had had a little bit too much to drink (due to one game we played where you couldn't say the person's real name for the entire evening, only our "stripper" name that we were given) and most of the food was gone.  We still ended up playing a few games and had lots of fun once she got there though.  It was a pretty crazy evening all in all.



Monday was the day of the wedding.  I originally thought that I had to help with pictures at the ceremony so I was dressed and ready to go at 5:00.  However, Ozumy called and informed me that this was no longer the case.  She ended up coming over at around 6:00 to get ready.  Then we met up with Pavol and Manuel and headed over to the dinner and party.  The place was packed and full of people.  Everyone was so nice though ensuring we had something to drink and food to eat.  At 9:00, Manuel and I left to go and grab Adaica so that we could pick up Robert from the bus station.  Luckily his flight arrived early enough that he was able to catch a Caribe Tours bus to get here - which was a relief for me because I was so worried about him having to take a guagua on his own.



Yesterday morning was kind of hectic since we had 3 people needing to shower and get ready in one bathroom.  But it worked out alright.  Robert got to take his first carrito - and even got stuck in B3 for half of the trip!  He got given a project right away which was good, although it proved to be slightly more difficult than first thought.  Lunch was at Pola with Orlando and Ozumy, and we also stopped by the MC to say hi and to collect some money for the Isla Saona trip that is happening this Saturday. On the way home Robert and I picked up groceries from Nacional.  Overall, I think Robert enjoyed his first full day in the Dominican!

No comments:

Post a Comment