Saturday, August 21, 2010

Fever!

The end of the day on Thursday was spent suffering from a crazy fever.  I left work a bit early to catch a carrito and I just felt so horrible.  I took some tylenol and had a nap when I got home, and then still went to bed early hoping that it would be enough to make me feel better.  In the morning, I thought I was better.  I had a sore throat which made me feel a bit more relieved since fever is one of the symptoms of both malaria and dengue... I got up and got ready but then the heat waves started again and I just couldn't bring myself to sit through that all day at work.  Robert was good enough to pass along the news to Sr. S.  Later on in the morning Sr. S. called to check to see if I needed him to take me to the doctor or if there was anything else I needed.  I said I would see how I was the next day.  I'm really not a fan of going to the doctor here.  After my ankle experience, I'm not really keen on going to the doctor for anything more internal.  So my day was spent in bed, napping and drinking lots of water.

That evening we had planned an intern night at the colmado.  I was feeling a bit better that afternoon, and even better after I ate some food and had some fresh orange juice (Thanks Pavol for bringing it home for me!).  I also thought that a bit of rum might help with my throat.  So once Paula and Gerardo arrived, we met up with David and the 6 of us wandered over to the colmado.  Manuel ended up joining us later too.

Robert, Paula, David, Pavol and I
Robert, Paula and Manuel, all with their legs crossed the same way!

We also had a good laugh about this security guard.  He wasn't guarding the colmado, so he was apparently on duty but not exactly doing his job.  I enjoyed how he was in flip flops too.  Paula asked, "Do you think he even knows how to use that thing (gun)?" and Pavol replied, "of course he can scratch his back with it!" Good times.  I also had a chance to talk to all of my dad's side of the family last night since they are in Lloyd for the burial of my late grandfather's ashes.  Definitely great to see and talk to them again - it has been so long!

Security guard with his gun and flip flops
"On Duty" watching TV at the colmado

I headed to work on my own this morning, since Robert had slept in.  I went to get the papas y queso from Pola before heading to the office.  I was so excited for the breakfast, except I still don't have my appetite back so I only ate about half.  My plan for the rest of the day is to do laundry and start packing.  I still can't believe that in 2 days I will be on my way to Punta Cana to catch the flight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment