Monday, March 22, 2010

Around the Office...

I realized today that there are a few things I’ve been forgetting to blog about. Mainly, things that happen at work that kind of surprise me. So we’ll start there.

First of all, last week, a lady from our office came by and wanted to talk to me. She handed me an invitation and told me it was for a baby shower next (now this) Friday. She told me where to buy a gift and everything. To this day, I still don’t actually know who the baby shower is for… nor do I even remember who it was that gave me the invitation.

Secondly, J has a particular way of greeting people. I’ve noticed, here at work, that most people greet each other with some form of contact. (This is also similar in everyday life as most people do the half hug kiss cheek maneuver when they greet) There are 3 guys who will always come up, say hello, and shake my hand. Everyday. And then they get excited when my greetings have progressed and when I understand what they are saying (in all honesty, it’s nothing to get excited about, all I can say is “hello” or “good morning” and then “how are you?” or if they ask, “fine, thank you, and you”). Anyways, back to J. A good example was this morning when he came in. O and I were both working (we share a desk, so essentially we sit beside each other, sort of) and J comes behind us says Hola, places a hand on each of our backs and gives them a little rub. It’s not creepy, mind you, more fatherly. And then, when he speaks to me in Spanish and I can sort of respond or I understand, he likes to pat me on the head. So yeah, sometimes, I feel like a child here. I mean J knows how old I am and that I am well educated, have great work experience, etc., so it's not that he thinks I’m a child, I think it’s just his thing. Feeling like a respected professional? That does not exist here.

The third occurrence happened today when I went to head out for lunch. I was about to go out the door when the receptionist called my name (I didn’t even know that she knew my name) and so I went back up the stairs to her desk and she pulled out some “Gucci” and “Prada” wallets and said, “do you want one?” Since, of course, I had no context around this (my assumption is they are fakes, is she giving them away or does she want me to buy one?) I just say no, thank you (or no, gracias). I must look really confused though so she’s says, “it’s okay.” I just smiled, thanked her again – hoping she would get that as “thanks for the offer”- and went to get my lunch. Random.

I also tried to take some pictures on the way home, but because traffic was very backed up I felt weird since everyone was staring at me from their cars to begin with.   On a good note though, backed up traffic makes it really easy to cross streets as a pedestrian!  I also enjoyed (and by enjoyed I mean was annoyed with) this one man who even though he could see that traffic was not moving for blocks insisted on honking incessantly at the guy in front of him.  Oh DR and your crazy drivers.

So the first picture was my attempt at capturing the purple and yellow Reinaldo building.  Instead, you can just see the giant banner of him.  (There are always a lot of his supporters hanging around outside the building so I can't exactly stop and take a picture right in front.  I should be able to get a better angle when going to work.)


This was my attempt to show the ocean.  Except, the post is right where the ocean can be seen.  Anyways, this is taken just a few blocks away from where I live.  I suck at taking secretive discreet pictures on my phone (thus the finger in the picture).  Perhaps I'll do better tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. I’m curious, can you hear the ocean? I know you may be too far away, or city is too loud. However, that would be kind of cool especially at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, I can't hear it. Even when the power was out and it was silent, I couldn't hear it. I wish I could. That's why I often forget that I live so close to the ocean.

    ReplyDelete