Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Did today actually happen?

Well today began like most days have since I arrived.  I got up, made sure the water heater was turned on, crawled back into bed to wait for at least 15min so that my shower would at least be somewhat warm, showered, got ready, ate some fruit, checked my email, and out the door I went.  It wasn't overly sunny today but incredibly humid.  I felt (and looked) disgusting when I arrived at work.  Women should not sweat this much!  Anyways, I had work to do right away, so I got to it.  I was reviewing a major feasibility report for a new hotel project in the city.  This kept me busy until lunch, when I was supposed to meet Marola, but she couldn't make it.  Went to Super Pola and grabbed some food.  Made the mistake of accidentally buying something I didn't actually want...

Okay quick story.  So I approach this cooler, that looks like a pop cooler, it has a brand on top and rows of "juice" inside.  I take a look at the front.  I think to myself, "that word is probably concentrate in English."  But I'm like, oh well, its juice, who cares if it isn't freshly squeezed.



I take it back to the office, take a sip, and I'm disgusted.  I message Bart and tell him how disgusting this orange juice is, it tastes just like the frozen orange juice before you add the water.  I'm so horrified and I go on and on about how I can't drink this.  Then I turn the bottle around and see this.


Ohhh not from concentrate, just concentrate.  Stupid.  Lesson of the day - read the entire label before purchasing.

So back to the day.  The power had been off since around noon - it would flick on and off every minute or so.  Super annoying.  I'm beginning to die from the lack of air conditioning, the water cooler no longer produces cold water, there is no running water in the washrooms so I can't even splash some on my skin. It's 3:00, I go back to my desk, and O comes by and says, "you need to come with us, we need you to read the English report and we're moving to a new location."  Alrighty, sounds good.  I pack up my purse, not sure where we're going or what I should be taking.  I go into the next section of the office and start helping pack up a computer and a printer, just doing what everyone else is doing.  We head out of the office and pack the computer stuff into the trunk of a Mercedes, it seems there is a driver who is taking us somewhere.  We get into the car and off we go, dodging traffic left and right (really that's an all the time occurrence here), and finally O points to where we are stopping.  The car pulls up, we're at a framing shop (yes a picture framing shop).  In we go. The owners of the shop help us all set up at one small round table in the corner.  Somehow, we all managed to get our pieces of work done while in such tight quarters.  For the first bit, there was nothing for me to do, as they had to catch up with the "quality control" I'd already finished for the report and get me new pieces to look over.  So I sat their awkwardly, not understanding what was being said around me, looking at all the ants that I could see on the floor (the teenie tiny ones), I tried to squish a few, then it seemed like new ants didn't come into the area that I'd been squishing, like they knew that they'd be next.  Then I pondered the paintings that were surrounding me and thought about how I would like to buy a nice painting like these ones before I go.  Perhaps I'll even come back to this store.

Soon I had work to do, and from that point on, we all worked very hard to finish the report.  O left us around 5 to go and do the presentation portion of the report.  He didn't return until 7:30.  He and Sr. S were there to pick us up, we headed back to the office, unloaded the computers and printers, and then O gave me a ride home (which was good because I was afraid to go home in the dark).  I also found out that the person we were doing the report for is very powerful in DR.  Which is why we all had to work so hard and so late.

What a weird day.  I'm exhausted.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha that is weird... obviously amplified by the fact that you don't know what people are saying.
    well at least you have lots of juice to drink???

    also, i like #8. that is sweet :)

    ReplyDelete