Monday, March 15, 2010

My tongue is having Hawaii flashbacks

I'm happy to announce that I finally got a solid night's sleep last night!  And what a difference it made!

Also, last night, I had gotten kind of fed up of feeling homesick and such, so I made up my mind to just get over it.  Anyways, along with several other ideas I had (and plan on enacting), the one that I will be sharing (see left hand side), is to find one thing I enjoy about DR everyday.  Now, today, I thought of many, so my goal will be to get to 350, which is the approximate number of days I have left.  Of course, there will be days in which I can't think of anything, so days like today will make up for that!

I had a lovely walk to work, saw Ricardo and Orlando (two other interns from Columbia) on the way - it was nice to see people I knew, made me feel more at home!  Work went along at a slow pace today.  I proofed one email in the morning for Sr. S and then studied my Spanish for a while until O gave me a report to review and edit.  By that time, the power had been out since 4:00 so my laptop had died and I couldn't do as much with it as I had wanted to.  I'll be finishing that tomorrow.  Lunch was a lot of fun.  Marola and I went to Wendy's - and I got some ice cream for the walk back to the office.  MMM.

So you're probably wondering what the title is all about.  Well I was so excited to buy mangos at Nacional today, and when I got home, I horribly cut one up and then Pavol gave me some pineapple to put in my bowl of fruit as well.


I'm busily trying to eat it now and am finding that my tongue is already sore from the goodness.

Similar to how, after eating pineapple at nearly every meal when in Hawaii, my tongue was kind of raw.

A lot of people have been asking me how much things are costing me, so I thought I'd provide an example of some things.  So today, I bought 4 apples, some nutrigrain type bars, 4 cucumbers, a bunch of cheese, 4 buns, some disinfecting cleaning wipes, 2 rubbermaid containers, 2 mangos and some mustard, which came to DR$ 667.03 which is about CAD$ 18.53

 
And Leslie - this is just for you.  This is how the spaghetti I bought the other day comes.  It's actually fairly handy as I can just throw in a couple rolls and know about how much is what. 

UPDATE (03.16.10) Maria has just informed me that the following is not spaghetti, but actually noodles that they put into soup.  Usually they break them up and then boil them with vegetables.  More learnings!

No comments:

Post a Comment