But let's back up first.
We left off when I was waiting to board my flight to Newark. The plane was crazy full, but I thought I had lucked out by getting an empty seat between me and another lady. Unfortunately, she took this to mean that she could use two seats. So while I attempted to sleep on my overnight flight, I kept getting felt up by her feet. Literally, I was in the window seat, she was in the aisle and yet her feet managed to end up on top of my knees, in my leg room space, and against my ass. Not impressed. However, this sunrise, which happened about 30min before reaching Newark, made me happy. I did get to catch a glimpse of New York which was cool!
Because of a lack of tail wind, our flight was late arriving in Newark, which gave me 10min to use the facilities and get to the next gate before boarding started. I made it in time, so all was well. Although I had hoped I'd be able to grab a bite to eat, but a cliff bar on the plane had to do. In the end, we actually got breakfast on the flight. Now usually, when I fly, I try to avoid talking to people, but I ended up sitting next to this mom and daughter, who were from DR but live in New York. The daughter was near my age, just a bit younger. We ended up chatting quite a bit which was nice. Even exchanged email addresses - we'll see if anything comes from it.
Getting through customs was quite easy, and my luggage arrived safely. Jennifer and Andreea were there to pick me up - I found them right away which was nice. They had a taxi already, but my suitcases were so large, and this taxi had no trunk space (which I don't understand) so we ended up having to put both suitcases in the front seat, and the backpack in the trunk.
It is true, what I've heard about how scary the driving is here. I can't believe there isn't more accidents! So we got to my apartment, Jennifer and Andreea helped me get my stuff inside. We had a quick chat about how things would be in the next few days. Andreea and I are going to the office tomorrow to meet with Mr. Sotero, and another AIESECer has been assigned to be my buddy for the next couple weeks.
Erin (from AIESEC Manitoba) stopped by a bit later, and she took me out for a walk around my neighbourhood. Pointed out the dodgy areas, showed me what "public cars" look like, we tried taking money out at an ATM but it didn't work for me. Not sure why. I may have to try my other card... She also taught me how to cross the street, which is an adventure in and of itself. Taught me what things will get shouted at me and how to avoid it, etc.
Now I'm back in the apartment, trying to finish unpacking, which isn't happening. I've got my bed made, curtains up, bed net up, etc. but still lots to do. I definitely don't have enough hangers yet, so that will be on my list of things to buy right away. It feels like it is going to rain. It's got really dark in the place. Oh and I don't have a microwave - so it's a good thing I didn't bring that popcorn... On the emotion front, I've been all over the place. The drive from the airport had me excited, getting to the apartment I was nervous, being left alone, I was scared and cried, Erin came, I was excited, but then homesick, out for our walk, more scared, back home, excited and a few more tears. But that's to be expected.
My roommates, Pavol and Andrew, should be home by 6. Apparently some other people are going to stop by later to say hi etc.
Also, the internet here isn't the greatest, and is kind of slow. So my ability to chat frequently etc. may be hampered slightly...
I think I'm going to try to have a nap now. :)
so glad things went smoothly! that funny about the taxi... and too bad about the microwave. but we've discussed this. haha
ReplyDeleteohhh the people you work with seem really nice! that makes me happy.
i hope you managed to get a nap in and rest a bit! without getting molested by feet. hehe
no napping happened, but at least some relaxing! Overall, a tough day, but I'm sure each day will get easier!
ReplyDelete