Thursday, March 11, 2010

Day 2

Well, today was much better than yesterday.  I'm definitely feeling more comfortable.  Now I just need to learn Spanish! 

Last night, I met my roommates - Pavol and Andrew.  They are both quite wonderful and I think we will all get along well.  I have finally figured out the mass amount of locks I need to unlock to get into our place (the front gate is locked, then the front door, and then our door has 2 locks (technically 3 but we don't have a key for the top one... which - story - I had locked up since I was home alone and then Pavol and Andrew couldn't get in haha)  And I got all the keys right on the first try today, which was probably more of a fluke than anything.

This morning, I walked with Pavol and Andrew to Nacional where we met up with Andreea and a few other interns.  They all went on their way, and Andreea and I continued walking to the office.  It took me about 1/2 hour to walk to work.  I think I will try to walk as much as possible.  Plus with the traffic, and the time it takes to find a carito, it is probably faster to walk anyways.  So at the office, we had to wait for a while until Sr. S was ready for us.  He is quite nice.  They had a phone ready for me, and after a quick introduction, I was sitting at my desk learning my phone.  Which didn't take me long at all, since it is just a newer version of my last phone.  Then my supervisor came, J, and we chatted for a bit.  He speaks some English, but told me that for now, he will speak to me in Spanish and then English, but soon, he will only speak to me in Spanish.  :)  Everyone at the office is quite nice.  I ended up reading a "seminar" on sort of an introduction to the type of work we do.  I understand a lot more now what I'll be doing.  (I'll save that for another post, and for when I've actually done something other than reading)

The day was fairly uneventful.  The power went out no less than 10 times.  We all work on laptops mostly for that reason.  (Oh and I was assigned a laptop today!)  At 1:00 it was time for lunch.  Marola, who is my "trainee buddy" took me to the supermarket that is two blocks from work.  I had "morro" which is rice and beans and some grape juice.  Back at work, the door I was shown to go in, was locked, and I was confused.  The receptionist let me in the back way, which apparently will be open normally...  The afternoon was filled with more reading.  At 5:00, I met Andreea and Ozumy.  We were going to take a carito but we couldn't find one that wasn't full, so we ended up walking.  When we got in the door, I saw what Lionel had warned me about - a little lizard!

 

Anyways, back to the walk home... before reaching the apartment, we stopped and they bought a large bottle of Presidente beer.  They wanted to treat me to my first Dominican beer.  I must say, after such a long and hot day, it was nice to come home, turn the fan on and have a glass of beer!


After the ladies left, I hung up some more clothes and then attempted to hang up my Canadian flag.  For some reason (perhaps it was the beer haha) I was paying more attention to the height of the flag than to it's centred-ness on the wall:


As you can clearly see, not centered.  But I don't have any more 3M sticky things, so I can't redo it.

Well tomorrow, I will head back to work, I am supposed to be there around 8:30am.  I need to go to bed earlier tonight, as my sleep deprivation caught up to me today.  Anyways, I need to eat some dinner, leftovers from lunch plus a snack.  I didn't end up going to the market after work, so I will have to do that tomorrow, perhaps on my lunch break.

1 comment: