I made a discovery today. I'm still walking to and from work each day, and until this morning, it has been quite sunny out so I've been wearing my sunglasses. Today however, I felt like a tard wearing them because it wasn't that bright, so I took them off and proceeded to work. Suddenly, men were shouting things at me, making the hiss sound, etc. and I was like, that's weird, they've been so good all week. And then it dawned on me - it's the sunglasses.
At lunch, I met up with Marola again, and her friend Carlos. I brought the sunglasses theory up to them, and Carlos said yes, its true. He explained it to me, sort of like this: when I am wearing the sunglasses, it tells the men that I am a snob. And apparently, because I am a snob, they are afraid of what I might say back to them, so they don't say anything to me out of fear. Now, I don't really understand, but I don't care. Sunglasses it is. Everyday. All the time.
Back onto the topic of lunch... we went to a restaurant called Buen Provecho. It was sort of expensive (DR$315 - I can sometimes have lunch for under DR$100) but very tasty. And the lady that seemed to be running the place was quite nice, and ended up asking me a lot of questions about being in the DR. But most importantly! I had my first Plantain!
It is the brown colored half a banana shaped thing at the bottom of my plate. This one had been boiled and then sort of caramelized but not really, the main point is that it was sweet. I enjoyed it and now look forward to trying plantains in their other various forms!

yum!
ReplyDeleteweird about the sunglasses but don't argue! haha
Exactly - if it helps me out, I'll wear them!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes - yum. It was a very good lunch. Worth the fact that it was a bit expensive. Perhaps I will try to go there maybe once every two weeks or something, as a treat.
*thumbs up* to the sunglasses!!! Keep wearing em! I love reading your blog to see what you've been up to, sounds like you are starting to settle in!
ReplyDelete