Since I stayed home sick today, I have no actual stories to write about. However, after a chat with a few people, I've decided to try to give an additional type of insight into life here. Up until now (perhaps with the exception of my hissing men post) I've been fairly focused on the positive things and random adventures. This won't change, mind you, but there are certain things I think I need to write about as well.
Today will be focused on guns. I know, odd. While talking this evening with Bart, somehow I got onto the topic of how I see a lot of guns each day here and not just on police officers. He told me that he was glad I had mentioned this because he probably would have been a bit surprised not knowing this when he comes to visit. So here we go.
When I first arrived, the other Canadian intern had mentioned that I would end up seeing more guns than what I was used to. My impression was that maybe once every couple months I'd see a regular citizen walking around with a gun. Surprisingly - even to her - my first experience with this was on my 4th day here, at the Botanical Gardens. The man who helped us get a taxi had a old western style hand gun (literally one with a western style embellished handle) stuck in his pants. He also had broken Armani sunglasses on. But that's besides the point.
Since then, I see regular citizens with a gun stuck in their pants maybe once every week or so. Although on a daily basis I see several security guards at stores and banks that stand outside leaning on their rifle. At first, I won't lie, I found all of this rather alarming and it tended to make me quite nervous. Rarely do you see someone other than a police officer with a gun at home. Those in their military garb (appearing to be off duty, going about their daily lives) can be seen with various types of guns on their person here as well. I have gotten used to it, as much as you can get used to such a thing. Already here, I have learned to be in a constant state of awareness as to what is happening around me, so it is just one other thing to be aware of, I guess. I believe, that like a lot of things here (another post for another day), it is mainly for show - to prove how manly/macho one is. Of course, it is also a form of protection too.
In the end, this is just another one of the joys of adjusting and adapting to a new country, culture and society. Although in this particular case, my preference still lies with living in a country with less guns.
No comments:
Post a Comment